Friday, November 4, 2011

Little Bird-"ness"

Who is Little Bird?  I've realized I've gone through a week or so of this blog without telling you much about the person behind the posts.  This week I've been quiet on the blogging front but I think I'll be tricky by introducing both more about myself while also providing a weekly update.

My Theme Song
This one's tricky because obviously theme songs should depict a mood, tone, and the pace alongside a story.  As my story changes of course my theme song changes.  It's well known that I have an unhealthy yet charmingly enthusiastic obsession with David Bowie.  Naturally you could assume my persona's theme song would be written by none other than the sexy Goblin King that stole my heart when I was 6.  Sadly I have not found a Bowie song that fits the ticket.  However, I did once have a friend that used Rebel Rebel as his ring tone for when I called in college.  I would say that's entirely appropriate.  :)

So WHAT is this theme song, eh?  What encompasses all that is Little Bird?  As this is such a difficult decision to commit to, I have chosen to drag out this entire process for the sake of suspense.  There are so many songs I could choose, but for this week's update I have chosen my personal theme song.  The song I imagine in my head every time I walk into a room is.....

Little Bird's Theme



Work
What is it that I do?  How do I have all of this time to blog and bake cakes and make crafts?  Well, for starters I was unemployed all summer, but before that I worked as a Deaf Ed teacher for a semester as a long-term substitute.  I have a degree in English and Education and a minor in Deaf Education.  I lucked out and got my first teaching job working with kids from pre-k through 12 grade as an itinerant Deaf Ed teacher (and at times interpreter).  Though I don't have an interpreting license, I was still offered a chance to interpret for a kindergartener, 3 third graders, and a ninth grader.  I think the most challenging yet fascinating student was a deaf/blind girl I worked with named Lauren.  She had so much working against her and virtually no language and yet she still accomplished so much in her day.  :)

Now I'm back to substitute teaching but in a more general capacity.  I have also started my application process for the Peace Corps, but because that takes from about 6 months to a year for an assignment, I  need to find a place to volunteer, take some form of creative class, and continue working on my blog.  I'm 26 and bear no shame in saying that I still have no idea where my career path will lead.  I only strive to find something I love doing and something that I can look back and say "Wow, never thought you'd do that, did ya?"  I intend on impressing myself one day.  :)

Things that make me go "Ooh!"

1)  When I hear a song on the radio that I love.  I love music so much, but the music that really makes my heart skip a beat are my beloved classic rock tunes. 

2)  Beautiful Fall Days.  The temperature in Texas has a very brief period that it's perfect and that's between mid October and late November.  I love the smell of the air, the clear sky and the gorgeous trees.  This is a picture of pre-autumn trees along the road I lived on nearly my whole life in my small hometown.

3)  Random acts of kindness.  Possibly a note that says "Thinking about you" or a text of your favorite joke because you thought it would put a smile on someone's face.  I love it when we use our most precious and rare trait of humanity: benevolence.





My nerdy little secret...
I am obsessed with Morgan le Fay from the legends of King Arthur.  I am going to the Renaissance Fair this weekend and I had to stop myself from buying a 60 dollar cape for a somewhat larp-esque experience.  I really wanted to be all dark and mysterious like I imagine Morgana is in the tales.  I like the many dynamics of her character depending on which version of the story is told.  One of my favorite portrayals of her character is in the recent sci-fi series called Merlin. It's a great family friendly version of the legends.  Also, Marion Zimmer Bradley's book Mists of Avalon really added depth to Morgana that hadn't been seen in previous legends, and remains one of my favorite books for that reason.

And as if it couldn't get nerdier, here is an edited snapshot I took of my character in the virtual world of Second Life.  This is my avatar as an interpretation of Morgan le Fay:


And I think now that I'm getting into my secretive life as a nerd that I should probably end this segment of looking deeper into the life of Little Bird.  I have a weekend of Uncharted 3 and Renaissance Fair ahead of me so it's safe to say that this weekend will rock!  Hope you all have an awesome weekend as well.  Love you much!

-Little Bird


p.s.  embrace your "-ness."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.